Hope School Board

The Hope School Board held their monthly meeting Monday July 15th. Under the Superintendent’s Report, Dr. Bobby Hart noted the district “carryover” or reserve funds as of June 30th will be about $2.5.million dollars. This is below the $4 million dollars a year ago. Dr. Hart said the district will deal with that by not filling about 20 teaching positions which are vacant due to attrition. He also said about $400,000 in “discretionary” funds which went towards an extra bus and cameras last year will be eliminated from the next year’s budget. Dr. Hart says the district has lost around 185 students in the last several years. He said while the district loses some students to neighboring school districts and to Garrett Memorial, he thinks the district simply has less school age children in it now than several years ago

School Improvement Specialist Carla Narlesky spoke to the board about “RTI” or “response to intervention”. She says this is simply “catching students before they fail” She went over the “tiers” of the program and also noted Hope’s percentages of students within these tiers are starting to come around to the expected numbers for our size district. The district discussed “Aspire” testing. Dr. Hart said he believes the district is improving academically and credited not only students but parents in the improvements.

The board looked at some Arkansas School Board Association policies. No action was taken and the board is expected to act upon them next month.

The board looked at their “school choice” policy. This was approved.

The board discussed classified personnel vacations. The board looked at proposed changes to the policy. Dr. Hart said he had some reservations about it as proposed. The policy had been unintentionally left out of the classified policies the board considered earlier this year. The board voted not to accept the policy as presented.

Personnel matters closed out the meeting.